Three States to Host Public Hearings on Hazardous Waste Generator Improvements Rule
Georgia, Utah and West Virginia are the latest states to host public hearings on the Hazardous Waste Generator Improvements Rule and request comments. The deadlines for these states are as follows:
- Utah: July 3, 2017
- West Virginia: July 6, 2017
- Georgia: August 1, 2017
The majority of states are still analyzing the rule and beginning the rule-making process. North Carolina was the first state to host a public hearing for the rule on April 3, 2017. States with approved programs must adopt more stringent new regulations by July 2018, or July 2019 if they require legislation to update their regulations.
The American Chemistry Council and several other industry groups are challenging the rule, and the final briefs are due on September 8, 2017. We will continue to share updates as more developments occur with this challenge, the state public hearings and comments.
Below is the most recent anticipated schedule of states and territories adopting the Hazardous Waste Generator Improvements Rule:
- Effective May 30, 2017: Alaska, Iowa, New Jersey, Pennsylvania and Puerto Rico
- Reviewing Internally: Arkansas, California, Connecticut, Delaware, Kansas, Louisiana, Vermont
- Rulemaking in Q4 2017: Alabama, Illinois, Indiana, Kentucky, Maryland, Michigan, Mississippi, Montana, New York, Virginia and Wisconsin
- Rulemaking before 2017: Colorado, Hawaii, Idaho, North Carolina, Oklahoma, Washington and Wyoming
- Rulemaking before 2018: North Dakota, Ohio, Oregon and Tennessee
- First Activity: NC held public hearing April 3, comments were due April 7
- No Activity: Arizona, District of Columbia, Florida, Maine, Massachusetts, Minnesota, Missouri, Nebraska, Nevada, New Hampshire, New Mexico, Rhode Island, South Carolina, South Dakota and Texas
Click here to learn how Stericycle Environmental Solutions can help your business remain compliant with the latest hazardous waste regulations.